Classroom setting. Multi media presentation, demonstrations, and discussion. Specifically for snowmobilers
Learn: How to avoid the most common mistakes, what equipment works best, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability and increase your skills in the mountains. Must sign up in advance
Take the class with those you ride with.
- Introduction to avalanches, statistics, contributing factors.
- Avalanche reports.
- Signs of instability/stability analysis.
- What to carry and what works best.
- Avalanche Airbag Packs.
- Avalanche beacons.
- Fast and effective single and multiple burial searches.
- Avalanche survival methods
- Deploying avalanche airbag packs.
- Effective hasty search techniques.
- Mistakes in rescue.
- Group Dynamics/heuristics.
- Slide show: Terrain Evaluation/terrain traps.
- Preparing for your trip.
- What to do if lost or injured.
- Stability tests.
What to bring: Notebook and pen. Bring your beacon if you have one and I can answer questions on it. If you don’t have a beacon, wait until after class to buy one. You’ll get a discount and have a better idea of what beacon is best for you. Please feel free to ask questions at any time during the class.